Operators spending $5.6 billion over 5 years on Ethernet access devices; ADVA takes top spot
Campbell, CALIFORNIA, November 29, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest Ethernet Access Devices market size, market share, and forecast report, which tracks revenue, units, and ports for copper and fiber Ethernet access devices (EADs).
"With so many operators moving to fiber as they upgrade building sites and mobile backhaul from TDM to Ethernet, fiber-based EADs will remain a much bigger market than copper EADs," anticipates Michael Howard, principal analyst for carrier networks and co-founder of Infonetics Research. "That said, it is clear that a growing number of mobile backhaul operators and transport providers are turning to EFM (Ethernet for First Mile) bonded copper technology, taking advantage of its extended reach and capacity in many applications and locations where fiber is too expensive for the return on investment. In fact, EFM bonded copper EAD sales were up while fiber and Ethernet over TDM EAD sales were down in the first half of 2012."
"TDM-based EADs aside, the EAD market is growing nicely on an annual basis, strongly influenced by healthy Ethernet service uptake. We expect operators to spend close to $5.6 billion cumulative on EADs over the five years from 2012 to 2016."
ETHERNET ACCESS DEVICES MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
Globally, the Ethernet access device market fell 4% in the first half of 2012 (1H12) from the second half of 2011 (2H11), despite growth in the EFM bonded copper EAD segment
Infonetics forecasts the EAD market to top $1.3 billion by 2016
While North America, where EADs first took off, remains the largest market with 54% revenue share in 1H12, Latin America is the fastest-growing region for EADs
ADVA took the lead in global Ethernet access device revenue share in 1H12, followed by Ciena, Overture, and Actelis
Actelis continues to lead the fast-growing EFM bonded copper EAD segment
EAD REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' biannual Ethernet access devices report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts, analysis, and trends for copper EADs (EFM bonded copper, Ethernet over TDM bonded circuits), fiber EADs, copper EAD ports (100M), and fiber EAD ports (100M, 1G, 10G, 100G). Companies tracked include Accedian, Actelis, Adtran, ADVA, Axerra, Canoga Perkins, Ciena, FibroLAN, IPITEK, MRV, Omnitron OMS, Overture, RAD, Tellabs, Telco Systems, Zhone, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- IP router/switch market dips 5% in Q3; Juniper reclaims #2 spot in routers
- IP edge routers helping carriers overcome triple challenge of video, mobility, cloud
- Telecom outsourcing, managed services a $76 billion opportunity by 2016
- China props up IP router/switch market in Q2; Huawei takes #2 spot in routers
- Routing strategies survey shows 50% of operators to deploy caching, CDNs
- Ethernet, IP MPLS VPN services to top $81B by 2016
- Infonetics carrier survey exposes the hope and hype of SDNs
- $186 billion to be spent on carrier Ethernet equipment over next 5 years
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
- Infonetics' new 2013 Market Research Lineup
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports Market Size and Forecast
- Infonetics CRS Report: Huawei 2011 Revenue Reconciliation
- Q3 Service Provider Routers and Switches Market Share and Forecast
- WEBINAR: Extending Integrated Services to SMBs and Branch Offices (Dec. 5)
- WEBINAR: Subscriber Engagement: The Missing Link in Policy Control & Charging (Dec. 11)
- Small Cell and LTE Backhaul Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
- Telecommunications Equipment Vendor Leadership Scorecard
- Mobile Backhaul Wireline Equipment Vendor Leadership: Service Provider Survey
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.