OTN transport and switching equipment to hit $10.6 billion by 2015; Huawei leads
Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, February 14, 2012-Market research firm Infonetics Research (http://twitter.com/infonetics) this week released its OTN Hardware Market Outlook, the first report to track, segment, and assess vendor market share for both optical transport network (OTN) transport equipment and OTN switching equipment.
"There has been a lot of discussion about the increasing use of OTN in carrier networks, but until now, little effort by the analyst community to quantify the size of the market," notes Andrew Schmitt, directing analyst for optical at Infonetics Research. "Our OTN report is unique in that it not only tracks OTN hardware, but it makes the important distinction between mature OTN transport equipment and nascent, fast-growing OTN switching equipment. Each segment is in a different stage of adoption and has a wildly different growth rate. Case in point: OTN switching revenue jumped 132% in 2010 over 2009, while OTN transport revenue grew 9%. Both segments are growing at a pace that far outstrips the 3.7% CAGR of the overall optical market."
SELECT OTN REPORT HIGHLIGHTS
- Combined, global manufacturer revenue from OTN transport and OTN switching equipment is forecast by Infonetics to grow to $10.6 billion by 2015
- In 2011, OTN transport equipment spending made up 92% of the overall OTN hardware market, while OTN switching made up 8%; with the OTN switching segment growing much faster than OTN transport, these proportions will change significantly by 2015
- Rapid growth in the OTN switching market is expected to continue as 40G and 100G coherent technology rollouts catalyze the deployment of new technologies, including OTN switching
- Huawei leads in both the OTN transport and switching markets; Huawei is a WDM powerhouse with the added benefit of counting as customers China's telecom carriers, who were the first to readily embrace all-OTN networks, including the largest installations of OTN switching
- OTN switching and transport hardware together made up 45% of global optical equipment spending (WDM and SDH/SONET) in the first half of 2011, and is expected to grow to 70% of the total by 2015
- Infonetics' related OTN Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey results provide evidence that there will be a large shift by 2014 in the area of optical switching (read survey highlights at http://bit.ly/jE4xfg)
Infonetics' OTN hardware report provides regional and global market size, forecasts, vendor market share, and analysis for OTN transport hardware and OTN switching hardware, including OTN port revenue forecasts by port type and speed. The report includes OTN hardware market drivers, regional OTN trends, OTN vendor market share notes, OTN service provider survey data, and comparison's to the overall optical network hardware market. OTN transport and switching manufacturers tracked in the report include ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, BTI, Ciena, Cisco, Cyan, ECI, Ekinops, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, Nokia Siemens, Tellabs, ZTE, and others.
Infonetics' OTN hardware market outlook will be expanded by analyst Andrew Schmitt to include packet optical hardware, and will be published again in June and December as Infonetics' OTN and Packet Optical Hardware market share, size, and forecasts report.
- OTN survey reveals huge shift in carrier plans for optical switching
- 100G is unstoppable, indicate carriers in Infonetics' 40G/100G WDM transition plans survey
- Operators name Ciena top optical equipment vendor in new survey
- Huawei expands lead, Cisco shines in weak quarter for optical network equipment market
- White Paper: The 100G era is approaching fast as carriers ‘reboot' their optical networks
- Optical transceiver market up 35% in 1H11 over 1H10; 100G ramp-up will be faster than 40G
- ROADM WSS component market contracts in 1H11, causing big vendor market share shift
UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Download prospectuses, tables of contents, highlights, etc. at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see OPTICAL for new 2012 services).
- Log in to download Infonetics' 2012 Research Publication Calendar
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports
- 10G/40G/100G Optical Transceivers
- OTN and Packet Optical Hardware Market Share, Size, and Forecasts
- OTN Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
- Q4 Optical Network Hardware Vendor Market Share Report
- Q4 Optical Network Hardware Market Size, Forecasts, and Analysis Report
- ROADM Components
- Larry Howard, VP (West NA, APAC, CALA): email@example.com, +1 408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Sr. Account Dir. (East NA, Texas, Midwest): firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic, Sr. Account Dir. (EMEA): email@example.com, +44 755-488-1623
- Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics, Sales (Japan): firstname.lastname@example.org, +81 3-6408-5566
- Hinton Information Services, Taiwan: www.hintoninfo.com.tw, +886-2-2799-3110 x220
- Doug Moon, MBAP Sales, Korea: email@example.com, +82-2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.