Survey Says: Speedy Fiber Changing the Way We Use the Internet
FTTH Council releases 2015 data on expansion of fiber broadband networks
Washington, DC (November 16, 2015) – The Fiber to the Home (FTTH) Council Americas has released the results of a survey by RVA, LLC showing that fiber deployments in the United States grew 13 percent in 2015.
"From our survey of North American broadband providers, we've found that fiber to the home deployment has continued to grow steadily and 2015 marks the second biggest year for expansion since the technology became available," said Michael Render, President of RVA, LLC. "The industry is poised for substantial growth over the next five years."
"Fiber's on fire in the U.S.," said Heather Burnett Gold, President of the FTTH Council. "Now, nearly one fifth of the world's fiber connections are here in the United States. Offering faster speeds and better reliability, fiber sells itself."
Major findings from the 2015 survey include:
● More fiber in more homes: The most recent acceleration in U.S. FTTH deployment that began in 2011 continues. In 2015, nearly 3 Million new homes were passed in the US. Currently, 26 million homes are passed and marketed in the U.S.
● Higher standards yield higher results: 12.3 million homes are connected with FTTH in the U.S. That's almost a 50% take rate, which is very high by the world's standards, and, almost 20% of all true FTTH connections are now in the US.
● Providers are setting sights on gigabit service: The movement to both symmetrical service and Gigabit service continues in the U.S. and Canada. More than half of the over 1,000 FTTH providers in North America expect to be offering a Gigabit within 5 years.
● North America grows together: Nearly 34 million homes in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean are passed and marketed—Canada's growth has been accelerating with 2.4 million homes marketed.
● Happy consumers mean more growth: Most of the FTTH growth is driven by consumer experience and word of mouth. FTTH consumers report higher over 50% higher satisfaction with fiber than with DSL or cable. Faster speeds and reliability of service drive consumer satisfaction.
To register for the RVA's Webinar presentation on New Network Operator Research: FTTH Close To Record New Adds in North America, visit:
About Fiber to the Home Council Americas
The Fiber to the Home (FTTH) Council Americas is a non-profit association consisting of companies and organizations that deliver video, Internet and/or voice services over high-bandwidth, next-generation, direct fiber optic connections – as well as those involved in planning and building FTTH networks. Its mission is to accelerate deployment of all-fiber access networks by demonstrating how fiber-enabled applications and solutions create value for service providers and their customers, promote economic development and enhance quality of life. For more information about the Council, visit http://www.ftthcouncil.org