TDS Telecom wraps sixth broadband stimulus project in Georgia
TDS Telecom (NYSE: TDS) has completed its sixth American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)-funded broadband project that will provide nearly 250 households in Georgia's Fannin County access to broadband data service.
Prior to completing this broadband project, Joe Kirk, manager of project implementation at TDS, said in a release that "many of these people didn't have access to the Internet."
To extend services to these homes, the telco installed over seven miles of fiber cabling and three remote terminal (RT) cabinets that house Broadband Loop Carrier (BLC) equipment to deliver services in its Blue Ridge Telephone Co. territory.
TDS said that the cost of this project was about $1.14 million. The Rural Utilities Service (RUS) grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (almost $300,000) to expand broadband further out to more residents in Fannin County.
- see the release
TDS completes part of 900-home Minnesota broadband stimulus build
TDS Telecom completes 3 broadband stimulus projects to bring 1,100 households into service range
TDS acquires IT services provider MSN Communications for $40M
TDS progresses with broadband stimulus projects in Indiana, Wisconsin
TDS' broadband stimulus project in Port Byron, N.Y., to serve 250 homes