UK mobile network operators Vodafone, Telefónica's O2, EE and Hutchison Whampoa's 3 UK face a possible fivefold hike in the fees they pay to use 900 MHz and 1800 MHz spectrum for 2G, 3G and now LTE services, if proposals by regulator Ofcom are implemented next year.
WASHINGTON, D.C.--AT&T and Verizon envision a blended wireless and wireline service world, but regulatory executives from both telcos said during a policy keynote session at the TIA 2013 tradeshow that a lack of regulatory clarity in transitioning their legacy TDM networks to IP is a key barrier.
Broadcasters again sued Aereo, the online video company selling monthly subscriptions for online access to remote antennas and DVRs that record local TV-station signals. The most recent federal copyright lawsuit and request for an injunction were filed in a federal court in Utah.
Since only about 5 percent of Americans rely on POTS and the other 95 percent use wireless, VoIP, cable and other non-regulated methods, it's incumbent upon the federal government to remove outdated regulations that require telcos to maintain traditional switched copper networks, an Internet Innovation Alliance report says.
Belgian's three main mobile operators have submitted bids to take part in the country's 800-MHz spectrum auction in November, meaning no new entrant wants to enter the LTE market there.
Alcatel-Lucent's plan to cut 10,000 jobs worldwide has met with strong resistance in France, where the telecoms equipment manufacturer plans to cut 900 jobs and close or sell up to five sites.
Europe's operators joined forces this week in a combined effort to lambast recent European Union proposals for a major reform of the sector, instead calling for greater freedom to consolidate and less oversight over issues such as pricing and network technology.
Telecom industry consolidation across Europe--including an end to roaming charges for phone calls and Internet use across national boundaries--would be a boon for the continent, European Commissioner Neelie Kroes said during an industry conference in Brussels.
The recent recall of two Colorado lawmakers--Senate President John Morse and Sen. Angela Giron--could be all that's needed to move telecommunications reform forward in the state, including resolving longtime acrimony over how to fund expanded broadband in rural areas.
The Canadian government has put the kibosh on Manitoba Telecom Services' plans to sell its Allstream division to Cairo, Egypt-based Accelero Capital Holdings. The proposed sale was seen as a test of a new, more relaxed government approach to outside investment in Canadian telecommunications