Comcast kept telco competition at bay in Q3

Comcast appeared to hold its own against ongoing telco competition during the third quarter with earnings as a report in FierceTelecom's sister publication FierceIPTV suggested growing revenue per household and an improved success rate selling multi-play service bundles. During the third quarter, the MSO reported that it lost 132,000 basic video subscribers, while adding 361,000 broadband Internet subscribers and 375,000 telephony subscribers, beating analyst expectations on both fronts.

Comcast reported that bundled video, Internet and voice triple play packages grew around 3.4 percent from the same quarter in 2008 to 46,821, while the digital video customer base grew 7.4 percent over the same period to 18,005. Meanwhile, Comcast's monthly revenue per video customer increased 5.6 percent to $116.91.

Of course, the other thing on everyone's mind during the earnings call was the ongoing rumors that Comcast is nearing a deal to purchase a controlling stake in NBC Universal. A number of reports suggest that Comcast could strike a deal with General Electric within the next week, and that any deal structure could involve Comcast taking a 51 percent stake in the programming giant, with General Electric holding the remaining 49 percent stake.

For more:
- see FierceIPTV's coverage here
- ABC News also has this Reuters article

Related articles
Comcast shows Q3 progress, deal rumors linger
Rumor mill: Comcast could make bid on NBC Universal
Comcast expands its California DOCSIS 3.0 presence
Comcast beefs up its mid-sized business capabilities

Suggested Articles

To better gauge which rural areas in the U.S. lack broadband services, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is proposing a new mapping process.

VMware announced Thursday afternoon that it was buying application delivery controller startup Avi Networks, but it didn't disclose the financial terms.

Google continues to execute on its $13 billion U.S. investment plan by announcing on Thursday that it's expanding a data center in Oklahoma.