Embratel Participacoes abandons plans to delist shares of Net Servicos unit

Embratel Participacoes, the Brazil arm of Carlos Slim's Latin American telecom empire, decided to not delist shares of its Net Servicos subsidiary because minority shareholders said its offer was too low.

These investors, who own about 1.8 percent of Net's shares, were offered BRL 26.64 (USD 13.18) per share.

In June, Embratel said that it wanted to secure all of Net's outstanding shares not only in Brazil, but also those in the United States and in Spain.

The company added that if its proposal went forward it would make Net a private company.

Under the current structure, Globo Comunicacao owns 51 percent of Net Servicos' parent GB Empreendimentos while Telmex owns the remaining 49 percent stake.

Slim's moves in Brazil are just part of a broader strategy he is taking to expand his holdings outside of its home market in Mexico. Last month, Slim's America Movil (NYSE: AMX) expanded their role in the European telecom market by 4.1 per cent stake in Telekom Austria and a 27.7 per cent stake in KPN.

For more:
- TeleGeography has this article

Related articles:
Slim's Embratel looks to snap up remaining shares in Brazil cable operator Net Servicos
América Móvil gains European foothold with Telekom Austria stake
Report: America Movil's Slim could make bid for a large piece of Telekom Austria
America Movil to fund new Internet-based video venture

Suggested Articles

With Covid-19 as the backdrop, Comcast Business has teamed up with HPE's Aruba to offer an enterprise-grade VPN service that's called Teleworker VPN.

Lumen announced an online self-service portal that lets businesses buy and configure their networking, edge cloud and security solutions in minutes.

Another domino has fallen in the SD-WAN sector with Monday's news that Juniper Networks is buying 128 Technology for $450 million.