Frontier cites declining interest in National Discount Plan, asks for more time on revisions

Frontier Communications has asked the FCC for more time to revise its National Discount Plan (NDP) so it can provide more information about how its updates would affect existing and future customers.

Specifically, Frontier wants to extend the deadline until July 15 to file its revisions with the regulator.

"With a modest amount of additional time, Frontier will be able to provide additional information associated with this plan and its proposed revisions," Frontier said in a FCC filing.

Given the limited customer interest and complexity in administering the NDP, Frontier plans to grandfather the service, allowing existing customers to continue subscribing but closing the plan to new customers.

Frontier said that "potential customers have not indicated any interest in this plan, and Frontier only has two customers on the NDP (one of which subscribes to fewer than five circuits under the plan)."

The service provider acquired the NDP from Verizon (NYSE: VZ) in April after completing its acquisition of that telco's wireline properties in three states.

Previously, Frontier grandfathered a version of the NDP plan covering properties in 14 other wireline markets it purchased from Verizon in 2010.

For more:
- see this FCC filing (PDF)

Related articles:
Frontier backs AT&T's Louisville, Ky. pole access lawsuit blocking Google Fiber
Frontier wins sponsorship agreement with Tampa Bay Buccaneers following rocky Florida debut
Frontier says consumers don't want broadband power backup service
Frontier taps Kinney to lead California government affairs following Verizon asset integration fiasco
Frontier's McCarthy: Micro-trenching, directional boring are lowering FTTH build costs

Suggested Articles

Mediation between Windstream and spinoff Uniti Group ended as both parties are too far apart on talks that are key to their respective futures.

GTT Communications reported a loss of $26.2 million in its third quarter compared to a net loss of $23.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Huawei said on Tuesday that it would give its employees $286 million in cash bonuses as a reward for weathering the U.S. trade blacklisting.