FTTH customer satisfaction up, but awareness is still nascent

Consumers that subscribe to Fiber to the Home (FTTH) service are, overall, satisfied with their service, a new FTTH Council report revealed.

In a survey of over 1,000 FTTH subscribers and 600 other broadband subscribers, which were drawn randomly from an online survey conducted by RVA LLC, 71 percent of FTTH subscribers report that they are "very satisfied" with their Internet service, versus the 53 percent for cable modem subscribers and 52 percent for DSL. TV service also fared well with 73 percent of FTTH TV subscribers reporting they were "very satisfied," compared with 61 percent for satellite customers and 45 percent for cable television subscribers.

But what was perhaps the most revealing about the report is that despite the promise of FTTH, most consumers still don't know the difference between a cable modem, DSL or FTTH service. Although FTTH awareness has increased from 28 percent to 41 percent, it still leaves 59 percent that don't know what FTTH means.

Penetration of FTTH in the U.S. continues to rise. FTTH service as of April 2010 was available to over 16 percent of homes with six million of them having FTTH connections at their homes. A big contributor to U.S. FTTH growth is obviously Verizon (NYSE: VZ) whose FiOS service currently reaches 3.8 million U.S. homes.

For more:
- see the release here

Related articles:
FTTH Council statistics show fiber is more than a Verizon phenomenon
Verizon's Q2 wireline losses offset by broadband, business service gains
RVA: 4.4 million FTTH links in North America

Suggested Articles

Frontier Communications is looking to rebound from a disappointing second quarter last month by offering a new managed cloud IT service.

Tyson, Virginia-based GiGstreem raised $10 million in a Series B funding round that was led by RET Ventures with participation from LNC Partners.

Comcast sent its Senior VP of Next Generation Access Networks Elad Nafshi to the ONF conference today to announce its big step on virtualization of the cable…