Orange set to enter home security surveillance fray in France

Orange is diversifying its service offerings through another partnership with Groupama. (Pixabay)

Orange is executing another page from its multiservice strategy playbook by getting into the home telesurveillance business.

Orange announced Wednesday that it has partnered with Groupama to create a jointly owned company, Protectline, which will enable Orange to become a player in the security sector in its home country of France.

As the name implies, telesurveillance is a system that uses cameras to monitor either private homes or business locations. Orange and Groupama signed a deal this month to create Protectline as a joint platform for the operation and management of home telesurveillance services. Orange holds a majority 51% stake in Protectline while Groupama has the remaining 49%. 

With the joint ownership of Protectline, Orange and Groupama retain full control of the distribution of their respective offers over their own retail networks and will use their own brands.

Orange plans to launch its own home telesurveillance services to the consumer market this spring. The telco's services will be available for both fixed and mobile customers in France.

Orange is backing up its home telesurveillance services with its strong market position in France, its well-known brand, its physical and digital retail networks and the expertise of Protectline.

There's also the potential for Orange to expand the reach of its home monitoring service. Orange has operations in 220 countries and territories, with direct sourcing to more than 170 ISPs representing 120 countries.

Groupama brings its home surveillance experience to the table in the deal with Orange. It offers services ranging from mass-market to tailored solutions, with a focus on installations, services and the use of quality equipment.

As part of the partnership, Groupama will contribute its expertise in home surveillance sector through its Confitex 6 subsidiary. Groupama also brings a logistics center, IT system, installers and ability to oversee the entire value chain to the partnership.

Orange and Groupama previously partnered on Orange's foray into the banking business, which is another multiservice strategy play by Orange. Orange Bank launched in France in early 2017 with Spain, which is its second-largest market, slated to go live later this year. Orange is also looking at opening banks in Slovakia, Poland and Belgium.

“The upcoming launch of our home telesurveillance service is an important part of Orange's multiservice operator strategy," said Orange Chairman and CEO Stéphane Richard, in a prepared statement. "To deliver the best product possible, we have again chosen to work with Groupama to pool our skills and resources, following on from our Orange Bank partnership.”  

RELATED: X by Orange takes cloud-native approach to serving business customers

Orange has also diversified its service offerings by kicking the tires on a cloud-native platform to deliver digital services to its business customers in Spain. Orange Spain subsidiary X by Orange, which was announced in September, is notable because it doesn't use traditional network infrastructure and legacy hardware but instead uses a software-based platform.

Using Red Hat's OpenShift Container Platform, along with its consulting team, X by Orange is able to put services in a public cloud by using a greenfield, cloud-native platform.