The Ft. Jennings Telephony Company (FJTC) was organized and incorporated by the State of Ohio in 1908. This year, it celebrates a century of operation.
FJTC, like most rural phone operations, initially operated a centralized switchboard run by a family and other employees on a round-the-clock basis; children often pitched in. Switchboard operators connected phone calls and acted as 911 dispatch operators, and even provided school closing information during bad weather.
The company has gone through two sets of upgrades. In 1968, the present telephone central office was built and automatic dialing was introduced. In 1989 the company installed a new digital switch, enabling a choice of long distance providers and E911 service. By late 2001, FJTC started offering DSL service.
- Ft. Jennings Telephony Company celebrates 100th anniversary. Putnam County Sentinal.
SPOTLIGHT: The big crank phone - FierceTelecom
Documenting the death of landlines - FierceTelecom