TDS puts finishing touches on Virginia broadband stimulus project

TDS Telecom has completed another broadband stimulus project, one that will serve about 400 residential customers around Paint Bank and Abbott, Va.

Initially, it forecast that only 300 residents would be served by this build. The telco completed part of the project in mid-January.

For this buildout, the service provider installed six remote terminal (RT) cabinets throughout its New Castle Telephone Company territory.

TDS said it projected the cost of this project at about $1.4 million. A Rural Utilities Services (RUS) grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (more than $350,000).

In addition to Virginia, the telco recently completed similar projects in Wisconsin and Oklahoma that will serve a total of 1,400 and 225 residents, respectively.

Because of the aid it got from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), TDS said it has already expanded access to high-speed Internet service to more than 30,000 households across the territories it serves in the United States.

For more:
- see the release

Special report: TDS' stimulus program will breathe broadband life into 27,000 rural households

Related articles:
TDS extends broadband around Medford and Stetsonville, Wis., serving 1,400 residents
TDS Telecom taps Bandwidth to create national VoIP-based teleworker product
TDS Telecom sells four of its ILEC properties to Direct Communications
TDS brings broadband service to more households around Wyandotte, Okla.

Suggested Articles

Tech Mahindra announced on Tuesday the launch of a dedicated Google Cloud Center of Excellence to help drive enterprises' digital transformations.

Juniper's enterprise and cloud divisions carried the day during the company's Monday earnings, which offset weakness in the service provider sector.

Arista Networks beat out some big names in its deal to buy Big Switch Networks, which came to light last week.