TDS' Wisconsin, New Hampshire broadband projects extend service to 1,300 customers

TDS Telecom (NYSE: TDS) has wrapped up one American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) broadband stimulus project in Wisconsin and has nearly completed another project in New Hampshire.

Targeting Beetown and Potosi, the project in Wisconsin will extend broadband data service to over 500 households.

During this buildout, the telco installed nearly eight and a half miles of fiber optics cabling and nine new cabinets to house associated broadband loop carrier (BLC) equipment to deliver services throughout its Farmers Telephone Company exchange.

The service provider said the project in Southwest Wisconsin cost a total of $1.9 million. A Rural Utilities Service grant covered 75 percent of the cost, while TDS invested the remaining 25 percent, or $500,000.

In New Hampshire, TDS Telecom's Merrimack County Telephone Company subsidiary has partially completed a project around Bagley and Bradford. Expected to be completed by the end of this year, the buildout, which includes the installation of 14 miles of fiber and 11 new remote terminal cabinets, will provide about 800 area households with access to a broadband data connection.

TDS has been making continual progress with the 44 broadband stimulus projects for which it has secured ARRA funding. Since July, the telco has completed projects in five states, including Indiana, New York, Georgia, Wisconsin and Missouri.

For more:
- see the release

Related articles:
TDS Telecom's Q3 revenues rise to $234.5M on gains in IPTV, managed services
TDS Telecom extends broadband to 600 more homes in Indiana
TDS Telecom wraps sixth broadband stimulus project in Georgia
TDS completes part of 900-home Minnesota broadband stimulus build
TDS Telecom completes 3 broadband stimulus projects to bring 1,100 households into service range

Suggested Articles

Arista Networks beat out some big names in its deal to buy Big Switch Networks, which came to light last week.

MoffettNathanson reports that the CAF II money that the incumbents received was typically more than the cost of the network builds.

Last year the number of data center mergers and acquisitions deals closed passed the 100 mark for the first time, according to a report.