TDS wraps Okla. broadband stimulus project, extends service to 1,350 customers

TDS Telecom continues to charge ahead to its broadband-stimulus-project finish line, announcing that it has completed a project serving a mix of local businesses and about 1,350 area residents around the Oklahoma towns of Cyril, Elgin, Fletcher, Inola and Kellyville.

The project exceeded TDS' initial target of 900 residents, with 450 more households served than projected in the telco's application for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding.

In mid-May, TDS revealed that it completed a part of this project around Kellyville.

For this project, TDS installed over 30 miles of fiber cabling and 25 remote-terminal cabinets, which house the associated broadband loop carrier (BLC) equipment, throughout its Oklahoma Communication Systems, Inc. company subsidiary.

TDS forecast the cost of the project to exceed $4.76 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost, and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $2 million) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

When the service provider completes all of its broadband stimulus projects—a feat it said is nearly reached—it will bring services to more than 27,000 rural households it could not cost-effectively reach on its own without the assistance of the ARRA grants.

For more:
- see the release

Special report: TDS' stimulus program will breathe broadband life into 27,000 rural households

Related articles:
TDS Telecom's OneNeck IT revenues rise to $67.9M on strong managedIP subs
TDS adds New London, N.H., to its 1 Gig fiber-based broadband list
TDS partially completes Oklahoma broadband stimulus project
TDS completes central Wisconsin broadband stimulus project, extends service to 1,900 households

Suggested Articles

Wave Business is building a new fiber-optic data center in Oregon that's scheduled to be completed in the second quarter of this year.

Embattled Frontier Communications is working with creditors to file for bankruptcy by the middle of March as part of its efforts to right the ship.

Canonical announced its Anbox Cloud, which allows service providers and enterprises to distribute Android apps from the cloud by using containers.