TDS wraps up its Colorado broadband stimulus project, brings service to 800 households

TDS Telecom (NYSE: TDS) has completed its broadband stimulus project in Colorado, one that enables it to provide broadband service to about 800 households.

The total amount of customers that will be served by this project is about 250 more than the telco initially projected in its application to the Rural Utilities Service (RUS).

It is now offering service in areas of Orchard City, locations of Redlands Mesa West and Paine Siding east of Austin, and North Fork communities of Crawford and Somerset, Colorado.

TDS completed a portion of this project in late November. At that time it installed nearly 12 miles of fiber optics cabling and 12 remote terminal (RT) cabinets that house necessary Broadband Loop Carrier (BLC) equipment to deliver services to each subscriber.

The service provider said the projected cost of the project was a bit more than $2.4 million. A RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost, while TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (just over $600,000) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

Besides Colorado, the telco has recently completed parts of rural network broadband upgrades in Alabama, Maine, New Hampshire and its home state of Wisconsin.

For more:
- see the release

Related articles:
TDS Telecom completes part of Colorado broadband stimulus build
TDS Telecom extends broadband to 1,450 rural Maine residents
TDS considers other potential cable acquisitions to beef up broadband, business capabilities
TDS extends broadband to rural customers in Idaho, Washington and Wisconsin
TDS broadband stimulus projects extend service to 500 Wisconsin, Michigan homes