Telstra dismisses wireline network sale rumors

Australia's incumbent service provider Telstra has dismissed a rumor that emerged in the newspaper The Australian that it has apparently accepted an $8.4 billion offer from the government for its wireline assets.

Telstra quickly said in a statement that "these negotiations remain incomplete and confidential."

Although the government and Telstra have continued to conduct talks over possibly divvying up Telstra's assets to assist the build out of the Next Generation Broadband Network, Telstra said the parties have "significant gap" on an agreed cash value of the network assets.

But the government's desire to break up Telstra hit a major roadblock when the Australian Senate said last month that it wanted more time to review the proposal.

For more:
- Bloomberg has this article

Related articles:
Telstra break up could be in peril
Telstra shares jump as government can't get support for breakup
Telstra strikes out against changes to Australia's NBN plan
Telstra says breakup will come at a steep price
Telstra, Australia lay groundwork for proposed broadband plan
Telstra: Breakup compromise with AUS government coming soon
Australian government delays Telstra breakup
Telstra rails against government-mandated telecom reforms
Australia could be closer to naming NBN contractors

Suggested Articles

icrosoft took the wraps off of a new cloud service for Azure via its partnership with Genesys.

Ahead of next month's fourth quarter earnings, Windstream touted its 2019 broadband achievements this week.

Cincinnati Bell announced on Friday that it has received an unsolicited buyout bid from an "infrastructure fund" for $12 a share in cash.