VimpelCom to acquire rest of Corbina Telecom

Russian mobile giant VimpelCom, which to date has owned about 51 percent of Russian wireline carrier Corbina Telecom through a subsidiary, said it will acquire the remaining 49 percent of Corbina for about $404 million. VimpelCom is leading consolidation in the region, exemplified not only by this deal, but also by the company's earlier acquisition of Golden Telecom.

Corbina Telecom recently said it was teaming up with Microsoft to use Mediaroom for the launch of its Corbina TV IPTV service to begin in the middle of this year.

For more:
- see this report at Light Reading Europe

Suggested Articles

Chris Young is leaving his role as CEO of cybersecurity firm McAfee to become a senior advisor with TPG Capital, which has a majority stake in McAfee.

CenturyLink wins a $1.6 billion contract with the U.S. Department of Interior to upgrade its network services and modernize its IT solutions.

Microsoft announced that it is committing to becoming carbon negative by 2030 and that it will eliminate all past carbon emissions by 2050.