Windstream breaks ground on its first broadband stimulus project in Mississippi

Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN) has begun the initial build out of its first broadband stimulus project near Prentiss, Miss., laying the fiber cable to connect remote terminal (RT)-based broadband loop carrier (BLC) systems to deliver DSL services to remote areas that previously weren't economically feasible to serve.

In this project, Windstream will upgrade its existing area network by installing over 7 miles of fiber and BLC equipment. When the project is completed in July, Windstream will be able to deliver 6 Mbps ADSL2+ service to about 170 customers Southesast of Prentiss along Highway 42.

Service will be available to consumers by August.

To make the project possible, Windstream is leveraging a $416,322 broadband stimulus grant, which they are matching with their own $138,733 financial commitment.

Although Windstream did not apply for the first round of broadband stimulus grants, the telco has won $181.3 million in grants in total to fund projects in 13 states, including Mississippi. Overall, the grants cover 75 percent of Windstream's broadband installation costs, with Windstream investing the remaining 25 percent, or $60.4 million.

For more:
- see the release

Special Report: Jeff Gardner, CEO & President of Windstream, on targeting growth opportunities in wireline

Related articles:
Windstream sees gains in broadband, wireless backhaul in Q1
Windstream seeks $238 million to fill in broadband gaps
Broadband stimulus: An enabler, not a panacea
Broadband stimulus: Clarity is needed, say service providers