Alca-Lu re-assures active Ethernet minority

According to Alcatel-Lucent, about 85% of the world's fiber-to-the-home deployments by 2011 will use passive optical network technology, while the remaining 15% will use point-to-point active Ethernet. But, at the FTTH Council Europe conference this week, Alcatel-Lucent has actively been touting active Ethernet technology as an alternative to PON architectures for FTTH deployments. Though the French vendor is often seen pushing GPON worldwide, it wanted to remind this event's telco attendees--particulary the smaller ones likely more interested in active Ethernet, that it offers both flavors.

For more:
- check out this report at Light Reading Europe

Suggested Articles

“We’ve seen decades of momentum in weeks," said Gelsinger. "We’re surprised how quickly customers were able to adapt."

Along the same lines as AT&T last week, Comcast Business has released a more robust, in-home broadband service for work from home employees.

After posting a triple-digit revenue increase last year, the growth outlook for carrier managed SD-WAN has been lowered by 17%, according to a report.