AT&T looks to fill 600 jobs in California; New Zealand raises nationwide broadband coverage targets

Wireline news from across the web:

> AT&T is looking to fill nearly 600 jobs in California, including about 340 retail positions from Sacramento to San Diego. Release

> The government of New Zealand has raised its target for nationwide broadband coverage, saying 99 percent of the population should have access to a connection offering speeds of at least 50 Mbps by 2025, with the remaining 1 percent able to get at least a 10 Mbps connection. TeleGeography article 

> Verizon will be plugging its user tracking ad network into AOL's online activity tracking advertising network next month. TechCrunch article

> Idaho lawmakers revealed that the state's bill for school broadband could come in well below the projected $5 million budget. ID ED News article

Cable News
> Amazon has talked to major media conglomerates including CBS Corp. and Comcast/NBCUniversal  about launching a live-TV streaming service, according to Bloomberg. Article

> While Comcast's attempt to buy Time Warner Cable last year produced thousands of negative public comments, the input for Charter Communications' bid to purchase both TWC and Bright House Networks has so far drawn far less inflammatory reactions. Article

Installer News
> AT&T is finding that as it comes closer to reaching its goal of installing fiber to 1 million buildings in its wireline territory, more property managers are seeing the value of having fiber at their facilities, a phenomenon that's going to give network installers more work. Article

Online Video News
> The cord-nevers demographic, once looked upon with mild interest by the pay-TV industry, has "eclipsed" cord-cutters in size, a new report from Forrester Research states, and the industry needs to learn now how to best serve this upcoming generation of video consumers who have never had a cable subscription and likely never will. Article

Wireless News
> A Dish Network executive said the satellite firm may participate in the FCC's upcoming 600 MHz spectrum auction but is still evaluating the opportunity. Article

> FCC Commissioner Michael O'Rielly sided with Qualcomm and T-Mobile US in the debate over whether or not the FCC should regulate LTE Unlicensed (LTE-U) and related technologies. Article

And finally … Ciena's Gary Smith says he's focused on building a culture based on trust and respect. NY Times article

Suggested Articles

Ahead of some key retirements next year, Charter Communications announced on Wednesday that it has made some changes to its leadership team.

365 Data Centers can now offer direct connectivity to the major public cloud service providers thanks to a partnership with Megaport.

AT&T is driving battery and energy storage company Exide's digital transformation with its virtualized FlexWare platform.