TDS builds broadband to 10,000 homes via ARRA-funded projects

TDS Telecom (NYSE: TDS) is now providing broadband to 10,000 additional households in its serving territory thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grants it is using to conduct 44 expansion projects.

The telco also reported that it has completed a project around Tipton, Ind. and it has partially completed another around Deposit, N.Y. 

TDS can now offer broadband to almost 400 households in Tipton. The service provider installed nearly seven miles of fiber cabling and six remote terminal (RT) cabinets throughout its Tipton Telephone Company exchange.

The cost of this buildout was forecast at about $1.35 million with the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) grant covering 75 percent of the cost and TDS investing the remaining 25 percent, or about $340,000.

The Deposit, N.Y., project is partially completed. When it's finished at the end of January TDS will provide about 1,200 area households with a broadband connection. For this project it installed over 40 miles of fiber cabling and 19 new RT cabinets in its Deposit Telephone Company telephone exchange.

Over the past six months TDS has made considerable progress with its broadband stimulus program, completing nine other ARRA projects in Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, New Hampshire, and New York. It is also in the process of completing projects in Alabama and Colorado.

For more:
- see the release

Related articles:
TDS progresses with 4 broadband stimulus projects in Georgia, Wisconsin
TDS Telecom completes part of Alabama broadband stimulus build
TDS' Wisconsin, New Hampshire broadband projects extend service to 1,300 customers
TDS Telecom's Q3 revenues rise to $234.5M on gains in IPTV, managed services

Suggested Articles

LF Edge, an umbrella organization that's part of the Linux Foundation, announced the second release of its Akraino Edge Stack.

Chris Young is leaving his role as CEO of cybersecurity firm McAfee to become a senior advisor with TPG Capital, which has a majority stake in McAfee.

CenturyLink wins a $1.6 billion contract with the U.S. Department of Interior to upgrade its network services and modernize its IT solutions.